Thursday, April 21, 2011

you are just so smart...

As I mentioned before, Hunter's B-Day is in September. Most kids that have September B-Days wait until the following year to enter Kindergarten. I don't regret too many things in my life, but my biggest regret is not giving him that extra year that he desperately needed! Everyone from his school told us that he should definitely enter Kindergarten at 5, that he was way too smart and that if he waited another year, we could see behaviors due to not being challenged enough. Hunter was reading at a 1st grade level and testing above grade level in math and vocabulary. To this day, there have been very few 'behaviors' that he has exhibited at school - I now believe they were wrong but at the time, I had nothing to compare it too so I trusted his IEP team. Anyone that is going through that same dilemma, go with your own instincts, you know your child better than anyone else. It is now too late to retain Hunter, so he is the youngest 5th grader in class, and socially not ready for middle school but our hands are tied unless we move him to private school. Also, Hunter wants to remain with "his friends"... it is very tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment